The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field.
- 4-6 years of related Accounting experience; including a track record of career progression in the accounting field.
- Experience with NetSuite is highly preferred. Exposure to other major ERP systems will be considered.
- Experience with an ERP system integration / implementation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong detail-orientation.
- The ability to interact with all levels throughout the organization including employees, customers and outside vendors.
- Retail and wholesale accounting.
- Experience with royalties.
- Relevant accounting certifications (CPA, CMA, CISA, etc.)
- Client Focus
- Decision Making
- Honesty and Integrity
- Results Oriented
- Solution Oriented
The RoleReporting to the Controller, as the Senior Accountant, your role will be to maintain financial reports, records and the general ledger and perform general bookkeeping. You’ll join a collaborative and talented team that includes another Accountant, AP Manager and AR Manager.
We’ll look to you to serve as the right hand to the Controller, allowing him to get out of the weeds while you handle the day-to-day blocking and tackling of the accounting function.
More specifically, your essential duties and responsibilities will be to:
- Maintain finance reports, records and general ledger.
- Support record to report process, including the accuracy and timeliness of all accounting transactions required to complete monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting requirements.
- Assist Controller with monthly close activities.
- Assist with preparation of internal financial statements and related analyses for use by senior management.
- Assist in implementing and improving accounting policies, procedures and internal controls.
- Analyze assigned expense accounts and researches variances from the budget. Prepare entries for appropriate corrections or accruals.
- Manage large volume of customer royalty statements, from creation to payment.
- Actively communicates with counterpart at licensors to maintain reporting deadlines so royalties can be accurately distributed and recorded with efficiency and accuracy.
- Perform the amortization of prepaid expenses, fixed assets depreciation and recording of adjusting and reclassification of journal entries associated with all royalty activities.
- Manage repository for all contracts and agreements related to players and leagues.
- Serve as point person for league audits associated with royalty reporting.
- Demonstrate a high degree of professionalism in communication, attitude and teamwork with customers, peers and management.
- Demonstrate high level of quality work, attendance and appearance.
- Adhere to all Company Policies & Procedures and Safety Regulations.
- Adhere to local, state and federal laws.
- Manage additional responsibilities assigned by supervisor related to your position/department.
- Ability to work varied hours, nights, days and weekends to support the business needs.
- Auditing royalty statements for errors, exceptions and challenges.
- Reporting royalties to licensors in ERP system
- Preparing and distributing royalty statements for both monthly and quarterly reporting periods.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Why Mitchell & NessGreat Culture
The Accounting Team is busy and the environment is fast-paced. At the same time, the crew is laid back and willing to pitch in and help when needed. It's a great place to work -- we check our egos at the door and bring a sense of humor to the office. The atmosphere is jeans casual, friendly and open.
Last year, we divested from our former owners and are now operating as a separate entity and we’re in the process of building out our platform. This includes implementing a new ERP system (NetSuite) and new back-office departments. Because of these changes, some of our processes and procedures are not fully defined. You’ll have the ability to bring structure and process to our Accounting function, while always keeping an eye out for opportunities for improvement and refinement.
In addition to a competitive salary, you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including, medical, dental and vision insurances with a suite of options (the company pays a large percentage of the insurance premium for the employee), a 401(k) plan with company match, a generous vacation, sick & holiday benefit, 50% employee discount and more.
Pride, Passion & Quality
At Mitchell & Ness, we are passionate about the authenticity and quality of our products. When recreating legacy apparel, we are dedicated to getting all the fine details correct. We're not just making yesteryear jerseys, headwear, and other apparel, we’re paying homage to many of the greatest names in sports! Additionally, we offer a Lifestyle line of jackets, sweatshirts and other apparel that is designed for today and delivers the same level of quality our brand is known for. You can feel good knowing you're working for a company that still cares about delivering well designed, top quality apparel. Customers love the Mitchell & Ness brand, as demonstrated by our long history of success.
Autonomy and Support
While team members tend to be laid back and helpful when needed, they are also very busy and everyone understands that we are all working on several projects simultaneously. Those who thrive at Mitchell & Ness are self-motivated, independent and enjoy autonomy in meeting their responsibilities. At the same time, support is available when you need it, both from the Controller and the team. You need only ask.
Our office is located in the center of the city. It’s easily accessible by public transportation and there are plenty of places to grab lunch. While it’s important to be in the office most of the time, we’re also flexible. For example, if you have an appointment for which you must be home, or the snow if very heavy, you can sometimes log in and work from home.
Pictured: Mitchell & Ness headwear is a fan favorite. We offer knits, snapback and fitted caps.
Keys to SuccessAlthough your hands-on accounting skill will be critical to your success here, to truly thrive, you’ll need to acclimate well to our culture. We value work/life balance and truly believe in a collaborative approach to getting things done. You’ll share knowledge with others on the team while learning from the Controller as well.
Your ability to communicate well with others and build relationships with team members and stakeholders throughout the company will also be important. We’re looking for a candidate with strong change management skills who can come in, evaluate and then give recommendations for change. It will be important that you take a diplomatic approach, gaining buy-in from decision makers on why a process or procedure should change.
It’s definitely not a requirement, but if you’re a sports fan, we think you’ll love working here! We are proud of our products and you’ll frequently see team members wearing our latest styles to work. It’s also not uncommon to see a sports player or other industry figure pop in the office for a meeting.